Wednesday 12 November 2014

My go-to recipe

I have a few go to recipes, according to the situation. 
If it calls for something sweet and snacky in a hurry I'd go for scones or pikelets or just pull out a packet of biccies. If I have a little more time I go for this good old chocolate cake recipe. Actually I whipped one up on Monday for Mr Sparky who then didn't eat any even though it was he who requested cake. It went to work with him today.



If I need a more substantial meal, usually I just slap something together. I usually have salad stuff and you can do a lot with that. A good go-to for a slap together dinner would be spaghetti bolognese, with jar sauce of cause. If we have recently had corned beef or something similar cold meat fitters are a definite maybe. They also happened over the weekend. 


Cold Meat Fritters
from the Commonsense Cookery Book

350g leftover cooked meat (I usually use corned beef)
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 tsp salt (optional in recipe, I don't put it in)
Pepper to taste
1 cup SR flour
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
A little lemon juice
oil

I usually also add corn kernels, onion, chives, any other herbs or seasoning I feel like. I sometimes add tomato, and I think you could prob use frozen or tinned vege in them if you want. The ones pictured have corned beef, onion, herbs, corn and sundried tomatoes in them.

1. Dice meat
2. Place into a bowl with dry ingredients and herbs.
3. Beat egg, combine with milk and lemon juice and blend into dry mixture to form dropping consistency.
4. Heat sufficient oil to cover the surface of the pan.
5. Drop 1 tbsp of meat mixture into the oil and allow to brown. Turn and brown other side.
6. Drain on absorbent paper towel.

Now I am a slap dash cook so I just chuck all the ingredients into a bowl and mix. I also cook several at a time and probably bigger than in the recipe. I also put mine in the oven while cooking more just to avoid the cold fritter or uncooked middle problems. We often eat them with relish or chutney.


To be completely honest, on those afternoons when I end up having about an hour between jobs I just pull a bit of steak out of the freezer and throw it in the fry pan and chop some vege into a pot and boil them. If am am completely sick of that style of meal I might go for one of Mr Sparky's specialties and boil some pasta, stir through tomato soup and top with cheese. Now that is simple cooking.

I Must Confess

1 comment:

Your comments add sunshine to my day ... so leave as many as you like.