Monday 4 May 2015

ANZAC Morning

Oops I slept in.
Okay, so maybe it was a little bit on purpose. The thing is I, on purpose, just didn't set an alarm.
I was still awake before sunrise though.


On Saturday last weekend, ANZAC Day, I had the idea of getting up and going to the Dawn Service on the Esplanade but by Friday night I was exhausted so figured I would wake if I woke.


As I drove down to the northern end of the Esplanade I listened to the service on the radio. On arrival I could hear the end of the service from where I was even though I was nowhere near where it was held.


As the sun rose I reflected and gave thanks. 
A red-ish sunrise for blood shed.


ANZAC Day is a day to celebrate our freedom and to reflect on the cost of that freedom. To be thankful to the armed services and to those who came before us. To think of those who served in the past and who serve now.


ANZAC is an acronym it stands for
Australian
and
New
Zealand
Army
Corps


It was the name given to the Australian and New Zealand forces and became a name to take pride in.


ANZAC Day is held on the 25th of April every year. 


It is the anniversary of the ANZACs landing at Gallipoli in 1915.


More than eight thousand Australian troops died in the Gallipoli campaign and it lasted for eight months. Troops ended up being withdrawn and since then the term ANZAC has been associated with perseverance, mateship, putting yourself before others, ingenuity, bravery and so many other traits. It left us with the ANZAC legend.


It had a huge impact on Australians hence it becoming one of the most important dates to be observed in Australia.


Although last year was the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of WW1, this year was the 100th anniversary of the landing at Gallipoli and the anniversary of Australia and New Zealand's involvement. You could say it was a pretty big thing with a very big lead up.


History was recapped and celebrated on t.v in the lead up and coins could be collected. As a child I recall the importance that was placed on ANZAC Day and the learning we did. Also the ANZAC essay competition (upper primary grades) and colouring competition (lower primary grades) we would all take part in that were judged by the local RSL. Men I grew up knowing and respecting.


I have been attending ANZAC services since I can remember and I enjoy the peace and reflection that dawn service brings. It really makes you feel the importance of the occasion. I've always enjoyed it more than the parade during the day although the importance and solemn but celebratory mood of the parade and service can be very infectious.


I did go and look at the cenotaph and saw the very cute crochet poppies wrapped around trees. People were spreading out and those walking past were stopping to look and possibly pay their respects. So many hold respect for this day because so many have family history connected to it.


'With the going down of the sun,
and in the morning,
we will remember them.
Lest We Forget.'

 


You can find more about ANZAC Day here.

1 comment:

  1. Your ANZAC morning sunrise photos are stunning. I too missed the ceremony the little lady decided to have a sleep in, which rarely happens.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add sunshine to my day ... so leave as many as you like.