Friday 9 January 2015

Soggy

Thursday morning ...
 

It has been soggy around here, our yard squelches and I would know, I walked out there to get photos of another soggy looking thing.


Actually, I think he was beyond soggy, more like drowned rat.
There he was trying to dry off a little while it wasn't raining and our resident Willy Wagtail was harassing him like crazy.


Don't you just feel a bit sorry for this fellow.



It actually surprises me that kookaburras don't seem to fight back in any way. Maybe they figure that if they ignore a pesky willy wagtail that it will get bored  and go away.

 
It worked today, mind you that might have been my presence. Earlier I had seen this fellow (or another) chased away. It was just as I went to take a photo.


Another thing that surprised me was how soggy this fellow looked but then I guess, he isn't a duck. Actually, Mr Sparky made a comment about kookaburras and cyclones, about how they don't seem to go away when one is coming, so they must be pretty hardy birds. Then I thought about this one a few years ago, yep they are hardy birds.


Sorry Mr Kookaburra, I think you are stuck with being soggy for a while.




http://paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/wild-bird-wednesday-130-tawny-frogmouth.html

21 comments:

  1. Kookaburras are neat birds and I love your photos and descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do feel sorry for the little guy, he looks so wet :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Countrymouse, thanks for visiting my blog.
    Love your photos, dramatic.. and those clouds are full to the brim with rain.
    Great photos of your Kooka. He's certainly soaked all right. Yes, I agree, I've seen them sit through attacks.
    A while back we were feeding some Maggies on a regular basis and a Kookaburra would come and allow itself to be grizzled at by them. Then ever so slowly, with seemingly not a care in the world he'd swoop down, gulp up any remaining food and fly off - much to the Maggies' dismay.
    Cheers now :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, thanks for coming by yourself. I know kookaburras just never seem to have care. Maybe that is why they are the king of the bush. Love your tale. Have a good weekend.

      Delete
  4. They are sort of ugly yet interesting birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a bit odd looking, much more handsome when dry. They have such piercing eyes.

      Delete
  5. pretty skies and soggy buddy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The morning sun did make those clouds a bit special. Hopefully my soggy friend has dried of with the drier whether now.

      Delete
  6. The only time I have ever seen a Kookaburra is in a zoo and he was talking, such a neat bird and a real neat sound. I hope I can see one in the wild like this one day. Your photos are great and that's a pretty sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually hear them more than see them. Their laugh is pretty distinctive. I hope you get to see wild ones someday. If you look at the link in the post there is an Aussie kids kookaburra song. Thank you and thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  7. Poor Kookaburra! I love the sound of the name Kookaburra!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kookaburra, I found out, is a borrowed Aboriginal word. The original word was something like guuguubarra, or sounded like that as it wasn't a written language. It is meant to sound a bit like its call. He does look a little sorry.

      Delete
  8. Love his beak! But I must say, I did feel the need to hand him a towel!~May@Achieving Clarity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is so big. It is funny seeing both these and kingfishers, which is what a kookaburra is a type of, and seeing the similarities. I think he might have appreciated that towel or at least a good breeze.

      Delete
  9. That kookaburra looks quite unhappy about being wet... but it's always nice to see other animals and plants in your pictures than we have around here in Europe... We also hat A LOT of rain in the summer... Strange weather!
    Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't look happy at all. I can say the same about seeing you pictures. A lot of rain in summer is normal in north Australia, winter is usually fairly dry and warm up here too compared to southern Australia where winter is cold and often wet. Enjoy the start of a great year.

      Delete
  10. I guess Kookaburras have some bad habits that the wagtail wouldn't appreciate, nest robbing? They are such interesting birds, and I like the blue feathers on the wings rather like some of the colorful kingfishers.
    Cool shots, I wish I could see them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am really enjoying your bird photos - amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol, I miss those guys. They were rather common in teh area we visited.

    If you want to see the Cassowary you should visit Cassowary house. It was not that far from Cairns :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add sunshine to my day ... so leave as many as you like.