Friday 4 March 2016

Fifty Shades of Grey

March is here and well I guess it is Autumn now. The weather is a little weird and crazy here at the moment. Instead of having long days of drizzly, wet season rain, it has been quite the opposite. March is well known for liking to throw a few cyclones around so lets see what this temperamental month brings. From what I have heard it won't be much though. 

To start off the month ex tropical cyclone Winston is plodding its way up the QLD coast after terrorising poor Fiji when it was in its proper cyclonic state. Last night we went to bed to flashes of lightning from far, far away but 2am saw us awake to pouring rain and a storm close by. It was so lovely to hear. This morning had that heavy, overcast look and every now and again it just gets too much for the clouds to hold in. I'm liking the change, and the cooler temps that have come with it.


Since the beginning of the year I've been hearing about and seeing photos of an interesting phenomenon between Ellis and Pebbly Beach, between Cairns and Port Douglas
By the way, it is a spectacular drive if you ever get to do it and only about an hour.



People have been creating rock stacks along a very rocky part of the coastline. Apparently it has been going of for years, on and off, but I haven't seen them before.


It seems that stacking rocks is a pretty popular past time globally, not just some strange thing happening up here in the north. From what I can work out it is just for fun and a way to say, I was here.


The stacks individually remind me of that picture card that comes in some photo frames, well they are the same thing. On this scale though they are quite interesting. They are all different and some are in spots where you think they would stay or balance.
 
When I got there a small family were encouraging their toddler to have a go. I'd say that is pretty much heaven right there for a toddler.

 
The moody sky, I thought made a great back drop to these weird stacks. So many different shades of grey.
 

Despite what it looks like, I wasn't the only person to stop and look. There were people there when I arrived and about five or so car must have stopped while I was there. Some people got out to look, others didn't. They seem to be quite popular to look at and some even added to the display.


I might have to put this on the list of things to look at with the family when they visit in a few weeks. So excited about that, by the way.


Apparently these babies have been well instagramed, so that must make them famous. I can tell you that they will more than likely end up on my account too.


Actually, I ran into photo problems while wandering around on the rocky beach. I was just clicking away at views I liked and I got that annoying SD card full message. Oops, turns out I hadn't emptied it and I was pretty sure that I hadn't put the photos on my hard drive either. I had to do some selective deleting to take more photos.


I used to carry a spare card in my purse, just in case, but I think it is at my mother's house for some reason. She tells me she found a random one somewhere. Must be mine. Drama, drama. Good thing I had my phone as well.


On the weekend I am going to try a job on for size, well see what they do. I'm pretty positive I'll like it but it is more a decision about whether loosing Saturdays is worth it for the limited shifts at this point. I then get to work Saturday night as well so unless we do something interesting on Sunday, that'll be the weekend done. Do you have any interesting things happening on the weekend?


I did however have a pretty good week on the 'catching up with people' side. My friend from Thursday Island was down so we did breakfast before she flew back out and a friend I haven't seen for years came in from Mt Isa for a quick trip so we hung out for an afternoon and evening. She was so excited about Target and Sushi Train, the small things. I remember when I was like that. Oh and then there was Sis G last weekend. I loved seeing everyone.


 I have a feeling that these rock stacks and I will meet again sometime in the near future.


Maybe the sea and sky will be in a different mood then and it will all look different.
I love that, how different weather or light gives a place or thing a different feel.


In the meantime I am going to enjoy this patchy wet weather, we needed it.


Only 3 weeks until family arrives for Easter. Yay!



My Memory Art

24 comments:

  1. fantastic photos...love those rock stacks! there are so many of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I couldn't believe how many there were either. Certainly an interesting trend.

      Delete
  2. It feels like another planet with beautiful stone creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! They also make me think of the 'stone' critters in Frozen.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, I've never seen such a mass of stacked rocks! Beautiful and interesting!
    From Mon-Wed. till 7 pm (Pacific time) I have a challenge called SEASONS, and anything during the season goes. Would be thrilled if you would come and leave a thumbnail photo of one of these rock stacks on the Linky list. Hope to see you there! my url is www.JeshStGermain.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, so many. I didn't realise how big a thing it had become. They were all so different and individual too. Thanks! I'll try to remember the link up too.

      Delete
  4. Great photos of the rock stacks. It all looks so moody with the grey clouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought the grey sky would work well but the weather made it even better.

      Delete
  5. I see these, too, but have never seen so many in one place! I was fascinated with lots and lots of small stacks all along the side of the road on the way to the Lake Tekapo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe how big a thing it was. I wonder who decided to start this trend? They are interesting and the reasoning behind them would be good to know.

      Delete
  6. Rock Stacks look great, look forward to seeing them.
    Yes definitely have an SD Card here.
    Pretty excited about our visit in 3 weeks too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am counting down! They will certainly be something new to look at if still standing.

      Delete
  7. Thanks! I thought it looked interesting when I first heard about it so I had to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in love with these photos! You have captured them beautifully! I have seen something like this before in Canada and they call them Inukshuk's and are a traditional thing, Google Inukshuk Gallery and check it out! Not sure if the people who started these in this beach were doing it with that in mind, but gorgeous just the same! Think I will have to make an effort to get up there and see if for myself!!!
    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't think these have any cultural importance, just a bit of fun from what I can find out. A high tide would clean the slate for people to build again. I think building the stacks of stones is a bit of a trend at the moment. I hope you do get to see them, they are certainly interesting.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for linking up with SEASONS! I appreciate it, and gives me another opportunity to look at the stacks of stones.
    Forgot that it's Fall now where you live (so linking up Fall pics if you have them would be cool - it gives a shock effect (a good one!)for the ones who are in Spring now:) In Fall when there skies are darker are great if you have a subject like these stones!
    Hope you have fun and lovely reconnecting with your family! Hope to see you back next week:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I can't wait to check out what everyone has contributed. It is Autumn here but because I live in Far North Queensland, we don't really get much in the way of dramatic differences in season, nothing like lots of leaves falling and pretty 'fall' colours. It is a tropical area so pretty much green all year round with some different trees flowering. This is our rainy season/ monsoon season but it has been pretty dry. It alternates between between raining, overcast, blue sky and is constantly humid.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful photos of the rocks against the overcast sky! Loved the shades of gray and views of the stacks! I'm glad you visited my blog. As we move into spring, I wish you a happy autumn and good times with your family. I'm looking forward to Easter too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I want to see the rocks with a differnet looking sea and sky but for the moment I think the view will stay like this. Enjoy the coming of spring! I am looking forward to my first Easter with family in years.

      Delete
  11. Great shots! The stacked rocks on the rocks have me thinking of penguins hanging out on rocks. I've been seeing stacked rocks here and there on trails in my area (central coast California), too.
    When you first mentioned a phenomena, I thought you were referring to that amazing cloud formation. We've been seeing that around here, but not as huge and broad as that one.
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha, I like that idea of the rocks looking like penguins. I think the rock stacks are popular everywhere at the moment, a bit of a trend.
      It was a well timed visit (fluke) with the rain/ storm on the horizon. We've been getting a fair bit of this kind of heavy cloud at the moment with storms and rain systems around. I love the look of it.
      Thanks for looking in.

      Delete
  12. Wow! Who would have thought? Great pics.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add sunshine to my day ... so leave as many as you like.