Thursday 1 May 2014

The Promised Waterfall

I said a while ago, back when I showed off the waterfalls on the Gillies, that I promised to share some more waterfall pictures. This waterfall was bigger, louder and just plain impressive. You could feel the thundering, the bass of it in the air and at times you could certainly feel the spray off it. 

This is the Barron Waterfall or Din Din Falls


It is found in the Barron Gorge National Park and you get to the lookout via Kuranda. It is also a stop for the Kuranda Rail. I have to confess, even though I have lived here over a year, I had never had a look. I'd wanted to and then was told by others that is is a bit of a dribble during the dry so I was waiting, waiting for the weather to dump some massive amounts of rain over the area and Cyclone Ita did that. When I first saw a photo, I think taken by an ABC person, I just had to go. Although the water had slowed a little and the spray and mist weren't consuming the view completely it was worth it. Also just as the name suggests it does create quite a din.



I'm not real good with what settings do what and am usually taking spur of the moment photos so I was hoping for the best when it came to showing the detail and movement of the water. I certainly didn't want that silky look, this waterfall is full of force, not gentle and nice. Thank you camera, you came through.











  





I also checked out Wright's Lookout which looks out over the mountains, down into the Barron Gorge, lets you follow the river with your eyes and lets you see Cairns from a distance.



This is the start of a new view of this place nestled among the beauty of nature. I have decided to get out there more, see more of it and check out the more local places that aren't always in the tourist guides. I'm going to enjoy, record and appreciate the tropics while I am here and while the weather is great.


12 comments:

  1. Wow, that's awesome. I could almost 'hear' the thundering roar of the water as it crashes down. Great captures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome, nature showing off. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. So beautiful. And great shots! !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. I love capturing nature at it's best.

      Delete
  3. I am loving the photo with the mist above the falls .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful images, the waterfall looks so powerful and dramatic

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is as powerful as it looks after big rain.

      Delete
  5. Wow, that's a lovely place for photos! The waterfalls are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great place. There are so many beautiful and unique places in this area.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. That was my thought as I looked at it, mouth open, wow! Good to hear from you.

      Delete

Your comments add sunshine to my day ... so leave as many as you like.