Tuesday 9 July 2013

NOVA: Student 1 Day 5 - Botanic Gardens

3 July 2013

Well I just have to say I was very slack in the photo taking this day ... yep the four photos below are it. We did however have a lovely time wandering around the Botanic Gardens on that Wednesday afternoon. I unfortunately don't have enough plant knowledge to be a great tour guide but it was nice to walk, talk and look. We even got to see a scrub turkey much to Student A's pleasure.

We also checked out the Information Centre there which is home to a python as well as a trove of local spices and other items. Tank #4 was open at the Tanks Art Centre and was filled with two exhibitions. One was drawings of local fruits. They were impressive. The other was an exhibition of photos of local insects from a photography competition. Some of the photos where amazing.
 
 

 

 


Earlier in the day (or was it Monday? hmmm whichever) I did a lesson on Australian Slang and Waltzing Matilda. I decided to chuck in this bit of Australiana because I knew that it is usually of interest and it would be something new for Student A. The student was very engrossed and loved learning a bit more about Australia and its culture. I used this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIWXmdTrz1s as a learning tool for our Waltzing Matilda session and Student A loved it. Later on M had a look and she thought it was great as well. We went through what some of the terms in the poem meant and then moved on to some other Aussie slang.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments add sunshine to my day ... so leave as many as you like.